Pages

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Was Just Thinking

I don't know!  Sometimes when someone is talking to me I become fixated on an odd thing -- like recently I was listening as a person was talking and I became overly attentive to a spot just to the top of a tooth -- a tooth in the top right near the gum line.  He also had small slivers of saliva at the corners of his mouth -- but it was a spot between that tooth and the gum that I was trying to get a better look at.   It seemed like it could have been something he had for lunch -- or maybe it was a dental issue.  I became overly aware of where my eyes were going as he spoke.  So, now and then I looked at the building to the left of me -- then when I thought the timing was right for a laugh, I looked at my feet and shook my head.  The point was -- I really had no idea what he was talking about because I was so fixated on the spot.  I tried to make him laugh because it was then that he would open his mouth wide enough for me to get the best look at it.

The point here is that these things run at me like hot pigs; I find myself initially engaged in pleasant conversation and attentiveness then something  grabs me by the neck and forces me to consider the oddities in  their looks, or their dress, or their hand movements, or the fact that their trousers push up over their belt buckle like over sized Sears and Roebuck jeans, or maybe it's a mole on the side of their head for crying out loud!

I don't know why this happens, but I'm sure it has a lot to do with why I spend so much time by myself  looking for edible mushrooms in the forest in my free time!

No comments:

Post a Comment